The Baratza Sette 270 / 270Wi burr grinder with scale caused a sensation when it was released. It was the first straight through grinder with an accurate scale. This is probably why it was awarded best new product of 2016 by SCAA (now SCA).
What we like
- Taste of the coffee from it.
- The bean hopper is easier to remove and reattach. With the rotating shutoff, removal also makes no mess.
- Supplied grinds container, something we have always felt was missing. Additionally it is made from anti-static plastic. Static is the evil side effect of grinding coffee.
- Design of the holder is super practical. Able to hold espresso portafilters, smaller pour overs like the Hario V60 and the supplied grinds container.
- As it is a straight through grinder there is minimal retention of grinds.
- Ease of removing the burr set, making it easy to clean and change.
- Support for All purpose (AP / Espresso) and drip Brew Grind (BG).
- Macro and micro adjustments are simple, with the macro adjustments being stepped and the micro stepless.
- The 270W has a built in scale, which is relatively accurate.
- The shape and look is clean.
- Wth Wi has now been updated from the W and we found it was dosing far more accurately than the older W.
What we are not crazy about
- It is a lot noisier than the Vario. They say because it is a straight through grinder.
- Some people felt that the even with the BG set it is not as good – but we found the comparison of actual taste made it a winner.
- The look and feel of the digital control panel seems cheap.
- You may need some “shimms” to get the grind you want, this is also something we found only after playing.
- For the extra price of the scale included you can purchase a new scale like the Acaia, so only for higher volumes do we recommend the Wi.
Features and Benefits
For a full list got to the Baratza site. We have include a summary: