The Baratza Sette 270 / 270W burr grinder with scale caused a sensation when it was released. It was the first straight through grinder with an accurate scale. This is probably why it was awarded best new product of 2016 by SCAA (now SCA).
What we like
- Taste of the coffee from it.
- The bean hopper is easier to remove and reattach. With the rotating shutoff, removal also makes no mess.
- Supplied grinds container, something we have always felt was missing. Additionally it is made from anti-static plastic. Static is the evil side effect of grinding coffee.
- Design of the holder is super practical. Able to hold espresso portafilters, smaller pour overs like the Hario V60 and the supplied grinds container.
- As it is a straight through grinder there is minimal retention of grinds.
- Ease of removing the burr set, making it easy to clean and change.
- Support for All purpose (AP / Espresso) and drip Brew Grind (BG).
- Macro and micro adjustments are simple, with the macro adjustments being stepped and the micro stepless.
- The 270W has a built in scale, which is relatively accurate.
- The shape and look is clean.
What we are not crazy about
- While the built in scale on the Baratza Sette 270W is a great feature, we found it was dosing quite accurately to within .2g more.
- It is a lot noisier than the Vario. They say because it is a straight through grinder.
- Some people felt that the even with the BG set it is not as good – but we found the comparison of actual taste made it a winner.
- The look and feel of the digital control panel seems cheap.
- You may need some “shimms” to get the grind you want, this is also something we found only after playing.
Features and Benefits
For a full list got to the Baratza site. We have include a summary: